"Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:3).
The Three Important Lessons From The First Lines Of Jesus' Sermon
- 1. Reaping The Blessings of Believing
- 2. Recognizing Our Insufficiency and God’s Sufficiency
- 3. Relationship of Serving God And Reigning With God
The Three Important Words That Explains The Three Important Lessons
- 1. "Blessed"- Reaping The Blessingsof Believing
- A. Blessed is not temporal but an eternal reality
- B. Blessed is transforming hopelessness into happiness
- C. Blessed is cognition of sin and comfort of eternal cure
The last word in the Old Testament is "Curse." (Malachi 4:6)
The first word in Jesus’ sermon is "Blessed" (Matthew 5:3)
"Jesus did not come to curse the world but to cure the world" Read (John 3:17)
- 2. "The poor in spirit"- Recognizing Our Insufficiency and God’s Sufficiency
- A. Humility Creates a Hunger For God
- B. Deeper Poverty Leads to Higher Dependency on God
- C. Spiritual Destitution Leads to Eternal Destination
Humility is exalted in heaven (Matthew 18:4)
Jesus did not come to show off His riches, but to shine light on God's riches.
- 3. "The Kingdom of God." - Relationship of Serving God And Reigning With God
- A. The Reign of God in Our Heart Here and Now
- B. The Spiritual Reality of Those Who Serve God
- C. The Present Conception Reaching To A Glorious Future Consummation
Do not look for outward display
Do not look for supernatural manifestations
The Kingdom of God is within you (Luke 17:21).
Jesus brought the Kingdom of God upon us
- 1. Are you fully depending on the riches of God?
- 2. Are you trusting God for resources?
- 3. Are you seeking first His Kingdom and His righteousness?