8 " And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write, ' These things says the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life:
CHRIST IS THE ETERNAL HEAD OF THE CHURCH
- The Eternity of God guarantees the promises and prophesies
- The Eternity of God is demonstrated in the resurrection.
Note: Without resurrection our faith is in vain
9 "I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
CHRIST MADE KNOWN THE SPIRITUAL RICHES OF THE CHURCH
- Rich In Virtue/Grace Eternal Possessions
- Rich In Good Deeds
Note: A church can be poor materially but rich spiritually
10 "Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
CHRIST'S CHURCH WILL SHARE IN CHRIST'S SUFFERING
- Christ's Followers Will Be Tested For His Name's Sake
- Christ's faithful Followers Will Receive The Crown of Life
Note: Suffering for Christ is sharing in His identity
11 "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death."
THE CHURCH OF CHRIST WILL ESCAPE SECOND DEATH (ETERNAL PUNISHMENT)
- Death Cannot Hurt The Followers of Christ
- The Followers of Christ Will Have Eternal Life
Note: The church that overcomes persecution and tribulation will be rewarded.