"I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience, as my forefathers did, as without ceasing I remember you in my prayers night and day, greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy, when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also" (2 Timothy 1:3-5)
The tremor of the spiritual tectonic shift is felt in all the religious landscape of America. We at Santa Clara First Baptist Church must respond to this radical change with a radical message. The task is daunting but we have Jesus on our side who was a radical leader with a radical message. We are ministering to and leading more than four generations in the city and within our own Church.
Leading 4 or More Generations
- NextGen - No Label Yet - Born roughly after 2012
- Z - Born roughly between 1995 and 2012
- Y - Born roughly between 1980 and 2000
- X - Born between 1964 and 1980
- Boomer - Born roughly between 1946 and 1964
- Silents - Born between 1925 and 1946
1. Radical Shift
- A. Religious Landscape: 23% No Religious Affiliation
- B. Family Landscape: 40% Children out of wedlock, Increase of single parents & blended families
- C. Youth Landscape: IPod to IPad- Baby boomer to digital natives
It is vital for the church and its leaders to understand the religious landscape of different generations in order to reach them with the Good News of the Kingdom.
These rapidly changing family landscapes require radical responses from the church. The Gospel is radical and we must present it so that its message is relevant to all generations.
Reaching and leading four generations with different religious and family landscapes are a daunting challenge, but not a new one.
2. Radical Response: Lead Like Paul
- A. Lois: The Older Generation
- B. Eunice: The Sandwich Generation
- C. Timothy: The Emerging Generation
- D. Paul: Bridging All Generations
- Lois led her daughter Eunice
- Eunice led her son Timothy
- Timothy led the church
- Paul led all of them
All of them lived as a follower of Christ in cross-cultural and multi-cultural settings. They lived and ministered in an immoral and idolatrous city.
3. Radical Leadership
- A. Look To God To Lead
- B. Look To Jesus To Lead
- C. Look To The Holy Spirit To Lead