19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you."
PEACE IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF FEAR
- Fear Turns People Inward (When the doors were shut)
- Fear Draws People Together (Where the disciples were assembled)
- Peace Is Present In The Midst of Fear (Jesus came and stood in the midst)
Prevailing Fear of the Jews
- Then the Jews sought Him at the feast, and said, "Where is He?" And there was much complaining among the people concerning Him. Some said, "He is good"; others said, "No, on the contrary, He deceives the people. However, no one spoke openly of Him for fear of the Jews (John 7: 11-13).
Fear was one of the first emotions.
- So he said, "I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself" (Genesis 3:10).
Why We Need To Overcome Fear.
- "The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the LORD shall be safe (Proverbs 29:25).
How Can We Overcome Fear?
- Trust in the LORD, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness (Psalm 37:3)
- Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass (Psalm 37:5)
THE REMEDY OF FEAR IS PEACE
19...and said to them, "Peace be with you." 20 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.
- Christpeace Cast Out Fear (Peace be with you)
- Christpeace Take Our Eyes From Fear To Christ (He showed them His hands and His side)
- Christpeace Replaces Fear With Joy
We Fear When We Forget God's Promises
"Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God." 26 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. 27 Then Jesus said to them, "All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: 'I will strike the Shepherd, And the sheep will be scattered.' 28 "But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee." (Mark 14:25-28)
God Reminds Us In His Word Why we should Not Fear
- The Lord Himself will go before you, do not fear or be dismayed (Deut 38:8)
- I will go before you and will level the mountain (Isaiah 45:2)
- Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10).
- I am with you always (Matthew 28:20)
21 So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you."22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.
OVERCOMING FEAR TO FULFILL THE COMMISSION
- Peace Comes From God (As The Father has sent me)
- Peace Given To Us ( I also send you)
- Peace Is The Fruit Of The Holy Spirit (Receive the Holy Spirit)
Commission Repeated Three Times Post-Resurrection
- Even so send I you (John 20:21)
- Another on the mountain in Galilee (Mt 28:16-20; 1Co 15:6),
- Another on the Mount of Olives (Lu 24:44-51; Ac 1:3-11).
When Jesus Christ gave the commission the first time He said, "Receive the Holy Spirit"
When Jesus gave the commission the second time He said, "All authority is given to me."
When Jesus gave the commission the third time He said, "Wait on the Holy Spirit."
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).
There is no confusion when God calls.
There is no fear when the Holy Spirit convicts.
There is peace and sound mind when we obey.