Note from the Board
Note from the Board
As their terms draw to a close, I’d personally like to thank Joel Robinson and Karen Dong for their service to SCFBC on the Board. Joel particularly was impressive as the first Board president to serve in the new governance model. He made it work, and work well, with two very different pastors – no small accomplishment (“People are harder than rocks.”)! I’m sure he’d be the first to credit his prayer time with God for keeping him even-keeled. Karen’s prior experience with the old Diaconate (Missions) was frequently valuable and her interest and concern for others was always welcome. This completes four years on the Board for each of them.
Your new and current board members are:
• MaryAnn Fairall (new) – formerly a member of the Diaconate (in the old days) and a member of the Pastor’s Thursday morning prayer circle. A small group leader and mentor, she’s a great consensus builder.
• Gary Dong (new) – formerly a member of the Pastoral Search Committee (imagine over a year of weekly meetings and work and outreach). Both Gary and Karen are active in the children’s ministry. Gary is also a life group leader for "Newly Marrieds" and “More Than Just Bread.”
• Rosa Flores (kind of new) – part of the new Spanish-speaking congregation (Un Cuerpo), and longtime supporter of JW House, Rosa has filled in for former board member Jonathan Fung when he moved from the Board to the Church Staff in the middle of last year. This will be her first full year on the Board.
• Tim McLenegan (fourth year on the Board, Secretary/Finance, formerly on the Diaconate) – raised in SCFBC, bass in the worship band, involved elsewhere (sound/light) on occasion for worship, small group leader for college and young adult ministries – will “term out” at the end of 2018.
• Nicole Wiesen (fourth year on the Board) – lives next to the church, is another great consensus builder, and is a very prayerful woman of God, as is evident in the articles she usually provides for "Celebrate!" – also will “term out” at the end of 2018.
• Jim Garvey (fifth year on the Board, following three as Deacon of Missions on the Diaconate) – teaches Bible Study on Sundays and supports several SCFBC outreaches (among them 4th of July and Redwood Glen) – also will “term out” at the end of 2018.
At least three Board positions will be available at the end of 2018. if you’re interested in supporting the church through a position on the Board, please see the church's "Guiding Principles" and the "Santa Clara First Baptist Church Bylaws." Both can be found on the church website. For more information about serving on the Board, we also invite you to talk with a Board member or the Pastor.
In 1Tim 3:1-12, besides laying out guidelines for elders/pastors, Paul addresses deacons: "8 In the same way, deacons are to be worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. 9 They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons."
Also see Acts 6:1-6 for the distinction between Ministry and Board.