And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness. Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all (Acts 4:31-33).
PRAYER AND PREPARATION FOR REVIVALWhen they had prayed
What is prayer and why do we pray?
Restore us, O LORD God of hosts! Let your face shine, that we may be saved! (Ps 80:19).
Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you? (Ps 85:6).
Can we come to pray for an hour? Could we not watch one hour?
Then He came and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, "Simon, are you sleeping? Could you not watch one hour? (Mark 14:37).
- People are lost
- People are distressed
- People are exceedingly sorrowful
- People are troubled
Revival is NOT contingent on God's preparedness; it is contingent on our preparedness.
REVIVAL IS A SIGN OF GOD'S FAVORABLE RESPONSE TO PRAYER AND PREPAREDNESSThe place where they were assembled together was shaken
The place people were assembled to pray was shaken. God was pleased and He responded favorably.
How can we get a favorable response from God?
- Jesus said Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness
- God said Humble yourself, pray and seek after me
- God said I love a contrite and humble spirit
If we want revival in the city, revival must first start with you and I and within this church.
5 FRUITS OF REVIVAL IN ACTS 4
- 1. They were all filled with the Holy Spirit
So what will it look like when we have a favorable response from God? What happens when His favorable presence shakes the house of God? One thing for sure, we will be filled with the Holy Spirit.
- 2. And they spoke the word of God with boldness
When the Holy Spirit fills us we have:
- Freedom in speaking the word of God
- Unreserved in speaking the word of God
- Openly and frankly share the word of God
- Free and fearless with confidence to share our faith
- Cheerful courage to share our faith
- Assurance to speak the word of God
- Secure in sharing our faith
We have cheerful boldness and conspicuous courage to make our faith and the good news public.
- 3. Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul
One of the fruits of revival is unity and harmony.
When the Holy Spirit came upon the believers they were of one heart and one soul
- 4. And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus.
- Revival comes before rejoicing
- Revival comes before victory
- Revival comes before celebration.
If we are to make the face of God shine and people to rejoice in God, we have to be a powerful witness to the resurrected Lord.
- 5. And great grace was upon them all
If we seek God together
If we seek His Kingdom first
If we seek His righteousness first
If we humble ourselves
If we repent of our sins
Great grace will fall on us.
Isn't the GRACE of God enough?