Prayer is a ready weapon in spiritual battle and fasting helps to focus prayer and gives it purpose.
- - a voluntary practice found throughout Scripture
- - denies our flesh from what it wants to focus more clearly on strengthening our spirit
Why did Jesus Fast?"For forty days and forty nights Jesus fasted and became very hungry." Matthew 4:2
- - Jesus was repeatedly tempted by the devil
- - Jesus was prepared for his three-year ministry that would change the world.
The Purpose of Fasting?
- - To Take Your Eyes Off The Things Of This World
- - To Focus Completely On God
Pray About Everything
"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
Stay Prayed Up
Optional Prayer Models
- The Lord's Prayer - Matthew 6:9-13
'Our Father, Who art in heaven Hallowed be Thy Name; Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'
- The Five Fingers of Prayer
- Those Closest to you
- Those in authority
- Our leaders
- Those who are weak
- ACTS Prayer Model
- A - Adoration
- C - Confession
- T - Thanksgiving
- S - Supplication
- Holy Spirit - (Romans 8:26-28 NLT)
"But if we look forward to something we don't yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently. And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God's own will. And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them."
So Why Should You Pray and Fast?
- - To come in agreement & unite with SCFBC for rest, renewal, and resurgence
- - To Draw Closer to God
- - For Spiritual Direction & Growth
an increase or revival after a period of little activity, popularity, or occurrence.
"a resurgence of interest in religion"