The Gospel Plan
The Word of Life and Light
Sunday January 5th, 2020 - Dr Daniel Griffiths
1. The word that creates life: John 1:1-5
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
- a. Jesus is the creative expression of God, creating what does not exist to now exist!
- b. First comes the impact of the word of life and then comes the light so all can see. (It is the life of God that draws because in that moment people can see God at work).
2. The Witness that gives light: John 1:6-12
There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
- a. It is our testimony that gives light to the life giving word of God.
- b. Example seen in our trip to Kenya: the living word's impact drew people to the light.
- c. Three things that keep people in the dark:
- 1) Failure to bear witness
- 2) Failure give our miraculous testimonies
- 3) Failure to speak life: Religiosity- Focusing on temple and ritual
3. We must be born again: John 3:3-6
3 Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again." 4 "How can someone be born when they are old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother's womb to be born!" 5 Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.
- a. We must become a supernatural being
- b. We must receive his Holy Spirit and grow in our surrender to him