Freedom to Forgive
Sunday July 5th, 2020 - Pastor Wungreiso Valui
"I thank my God, making mention of you always in my prayers, hearing of your love and faith which you have toward the Lord Jesus and toward all the saints, that the sharing of your faith may become effective by the acknowledgment of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus." Philemon 1:4-6 (NKJV)
The MessageA big heart with big love and big faith can make a big impact. Learn to effectively communicate your faith by fully understanding all of the good things you have received through Christ.
- 1. Use LOVE and Not AUTHORITY to Communicate Your Faith
"Therefore, though I might be very bold in Christ to command you what is fitting, yet for love's sake I rather appeal to you -- being such a one as Paul, the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ." Philemon 1:8-9
- 2. Use RELATIONSHIP and Not RANK to Communicate Your Faith
"I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten while in my chains, who once was unprofitable to you, but now is profitable to you and to me. I am sending him back. You therefore receive him, that is, my own heart." Philemon 1:10-12
- 3. Use your INFLUENCE and Not INTIMIDATION to Communicate Your Faith
"But without your consent I wanted to do nothing, that your good deed might not be by compulsion, as it were, but voluntary." Philemon 1:14
- 4. Use your WEALTH and Do Not What is OWED to Communicate Your Faith
"But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account. I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay -- not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides. Philemon." Philemon 1:18-19
The Desired Outcome
- That Onesimuses (a runaway slave) may return to his master as a brother.
- People who are running away from crimes (sin) may instead run into compassion - leading to their conversion.