Also, I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: "Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me". (Isaiah 6:8)
A leader rises to the occasion
A Little History
Isaiah was called to minister to the nation during the most turbulent periods in Jerusalem's history, from both a political and religious standpoint. Isaiah was called to serve a nation that had turned against God. The prophet served four kings: Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah.
Send a prophet
"I will restore your leaders as in days of old, your rulers as at the beginning. Afterward you will be called the City of Righteousness, the Faithful City." (Isa. 1:26)
Restore His people
"For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make shall remain before Me, says the Lord, So shall your descendants and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one New Moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, all flesh shall come to worship before Me," says the Lord. (Isa. 66:22-23)
Leadership Lessons From Isaiah:
In times of crisis, there are people who rise to the occasion. They lead, and they are different. What sets them apart in hard times?
"A major criterion for judging the anxiety level of any society is the loss of its capacity to be playful." ? Edwin H. Friedman, A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in the Age of the Quick Fix
1. Be A Man/Woman Of Conviction- Woe Is Me
So I said: "Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, The Lord of hosts." (Isa. 6:5)
We all need to experience, "Woe is me, for I am a man of unclean lips", to live a transformed life.
- Problem: Woe is me, I have unclean lips: Unless you admit you have a problem, there is no lasting solution. Self-clarity is directly proportional to the clarity of the reality of God in your life.
- Solution: Your iniquity is taken away, And your sin purged. God has a surprising solution to your surprising problem. You are a reflection of God's character.
- Purpose: Go, and tell this people. You are useful to God.
Without experiencing the full conviction of the reality of God and His presence, we cannot draw others to the calm and steady presence of God.
2. Answer Your Calling-Send Me
Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: "Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us? Then I said, "Here am I! Send me" (Isa. 6:8)
- Humility and Self-Sacrifice are key to making a difference in people's lives
- Self-acceptance is grounded in self-awareness-You are a unique human being, and you are not defined by what you do, but what you have, and what others think of you.
- Change yourself first, rather than trying to fix others.
- You cannot invite others to a life of humility and self-sacrifice, unless you, yourself, first lead by example.
3. Be Prepared To Stand Alone-My Servant Isaiah Has Walked Naked
...the Lord spoke by Isaiah the son of Amoz, saying, Go, and remove the sackcloth from your body, and take your sandals off your feet. And he did so, walking naked and barefoot." (Isa. 20:1-2)
- What do leaders fear: The fear of standing out
- Walked naked and barefoot for three years: When you are fully convicted of your purpose, you are not afraid to stand alone.
- There is the pain of isolation, the pain of loneliness, the pain of personal attacks, the pain of losing friends. That's what leadership is all about" -Edwin H. Friedman, A Failure of Nerve.
4. Give Hope To People-The vision of Isaiah
I will restore your leaders as in days of old, your rulers as at the beginning. Afterward you will be called the City of Righteousness, the Faithful City." (Isa. 1:26)
Hope is living in the present and trusting in God's promises
"And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse, Who shall stand as a banner to the people; For the Gentiles shall seek Him, And His resting place shall be glorious." (Isa. 11:10)
God's hope is God's truth. Hope is not a wish or a desire.
The Promise of a Son, Immanuel (Isa. 9:2-7)
But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength. (Isa. 40:31)
5. Love The People You Lead -My unfailing love for you will not be shaken
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you. (Isa. 54:10)
- Isaiah delivered a masterpiece on God loving His people "Can a woman forget her nursing child. 49:15-16 Fear not, for I am with you. (Isa. 41:10)
- You can make a difference when you love the people you lead
- You can't serve the people you don't love
- You can't save the people you don't serve
Rebuke in love, criticize in love
You don't need any skills to criticize someone, but that doesn't mean you should.
6. Embrace The Whole Humanity- In that day Israel will be one of three with Egypt and Assyria
In that day Israel will be one of three with Egypt and Assyria-a blessing in the midst of the land, whom the Lord of hosts shall bless, saying, "Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance" (Isa. 19:24-25)
- Serve your people, and embrace humanity as a whole.
- Leaders after God's own heart, expand their hearts and embrace humanity.
"Even them I will bring to My holy mountain, And make them joyful in My house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices Will be accepted on My altar; For My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations." Isaiah 56:7
- Be a positive leader
- Be a hopeful leader
- Be loving to all people
What sets you apart in hard times? What makes you different? Helpful Directions-
- Repentance and rest is your salvation- Take time to Self-reflect.
- Quietness and trust is your strength- Spend time with God.