The Great Shift
Pivoting With Purpose In The Pandemic
Sunday September 5, 2021 - Pastor Wungreiso Valui
INTRODUCTION TO THE SERIES
The "GREAT SHIFT" series is to help you Pivot With Purpose In The Pandemic. The teaching series is designed to help you pivot a life path for growth and purpose and make the most of every opportunity.
The teaching series is based on the life of Daniel and Twelve Minor Prophets who experienced seismic shifts in their personal lives. They experienced abrupt displacement, famine, and drought. Their kingdoms were torn and divided and taken as captives to serve in a foreign land. Daniel and the Twelve prophets successfully navigated the devastating and complicated world in which they lived.
Change is constant. Heraclitus, a Greek philosopher from Ephesus, said "The only constant in life is change." So why go back?
Do not focus on going back to the past. Focus on moving forward. Draw a long-term conclusion from the behavioral shifts and make the best of every opportunity the world presents to you.
Living Differently In A Constantly Changing World
People will build their character, pursue wisdom, enhance their skills and use their abilities and gifts for the greater good.
THE BACKGROUND STORY
"Now at the end of the days,...the king interviewed them, and among them all none was found like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah; therefore they served before the king. And in all matters of wisdom and understanding about which the king examined them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers who were in all his realm. Thus Daniel continued until the first year of King Cyrus." Daniel 1:20-21.
The Pandemic Shift:
There is a major shift happening right now and some of the pandemic shifts are going to be permanent. The question is, are you pivoting?
Learning From Daniel To Pivot With Purpose In The Pandemic Daniel, a teenage boy, was uprooted from his hometown and taken to a foreign land to serve a foreign king. Daniel pivoted to live differently than to live complicitly. He chose to stand out rather than to blend in.
"Please test your servants for ten days..." Daniel 1:12
- To Pivot With Purpose, Build Your Character.
- Daniel chose to stand out rather than blend in.
- James Lane Allen, the American novelist and short-story writer said, "Circumstances do not determine a man, they reveal him."
- Your competency may get you the job.
- But your character will help you keep the job.
- Crisis doesn't create character.
- Crisis reveals character.
Daniel's three friends did not bow to the king.
"But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up." Daniel 4:18
Daniel did not pray to the king.
"Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. And in his upper room, with his windows open toward Jerusalem, he knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days." Daniel 6:10
How do we guard against moral failing?
In a crisis, pivot and go deeper. Build your inner life.
How are you building your inner life?
If you want to have a good relationship with others, work on your character first.
"But Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself with the royal rations of food and wine; so he asked the palace master to allow him not to defile himself." Daniel 1:8
If you want to have a good relationship with God, work on your character first.
How is SCFBC pivoting?
- New Vision Statement: Santa Clara First Baptist Church will be "a church of all nations, growing people into a loving relationship with God."
- Our new vision is an aggregate of the attributes and traits of who we are becoming and our desired outcome. This is our DNA.
- Character matters in relationships.
"Now God allowed Daniel to receive favor and compassion from the palace master." Daniel 1:9
"In all matters of wisdom and understanding about which the king examined them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers who were in all his realm." Daniel 1:20
- To Pivot With Purpose, Pursue Wisdom.
- Be wise and use your knowledge for the best outcome.
- Daniel blessed God for revealing to him the king's secret dream.
- Wisdom For Discernment
- God's wisdom helps us to make a good decision.
- How do we get God's wisdom?
Daniel asked God for wisdom so that he could reveal king Nebuchadnezzar's dream. When you are stuck, ask God for help.
"It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things..." Daniel 2:22
"As for these four young men, God gave them knowledge and skill in all literature and wisdom; and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams." Daniel 1:17
To Pivot With Purpose, Enhance Your Skills.
Daniel set specific goals to improve his skills.
"...and let them give us vegetables to eat and water to drink." Daniel 1:12
- Set specific goals to improve your skills.
- Enroll in an online course. Take advantage of your organization's training. Find a mentor.
- Seek out help from peers in your field.
"Then Daniel went to his house, and made the decision known to Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, his companions, that they might seek mercies from the God of heaven concerning this secret, so that Daniel and his companions might not perish with the rest of the wise men of Babylon." Daniel 2:17-18
"Therefore Daniel went to Arioch, whom the king had appointed to destroy the wise men of Babylon. He went and said thus to him: 'Do not destroy the wise men of Babylon; take me before the king, and I will tell the king the interpretation.'" Daniel 2:24
- To Pivot With Purpose, Use Your Abilities and Gifts For The Greater Good.
- Daniel used his abilities and gifts of vision and dreams for the greater good.
- Your witness can make a difference to others.
- Pivot people with a purpose in a crisis.
Don't Overcommit: Be Open To Pivot
People matter. Don't lose sight of people as you dodge, spin, and pivot your way through the pandemic.
People are the most valuable asset.
"The king answered Daniel, and said, 'Truly your God is the God of gods, the Lord of kings, and a revealer of secrets since you could reveal this secret.'" Daniel 1:47