"Though the fig tree may not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, and the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, and there be no herd in the stalls- Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer's feet, And He will make me walk on my high hills." -Habakkuk 3:17-19
Live joyfully and wait patiently with unwavering hope. Big ideas can come from small people.
THE DESIRED OUTCOME
Pivot with the Big God. You don't need to be a big name before a Big God. Start living joyfully no matter what your circumstances are.
PIVOT STORY BACKGROUND
"The burden which the prophet Habakkuk saw." -Habakkuk 1:1
- Habakkuk, the lead character, had no mention of his family, hometown, tribe, or occupation. Most of the prophets at least have a hometown, tribe, or occupation.
- Habakkuk wrestled with God and accused God of doing nothing to protect His people from the Chaldeans.
- In the end, God was the deliverer.
Live with unwavering hope in hard times. Stop waiting for good things to happen to live a joyful life. Learn how to start living joyfully, no matter what your circumstances are.
1. There Is A Struggle Before A Pivot.
- Habakkuk, the small guy, wrestled with the Big God before he pivots.
- The First Question " How Long?" "The burden which the prophet Habakkuk saw. O Lord, how long shall I cry, and You will not hear? Even cry out to You, "Violence!" and You will not save." -Habakkuk 1:1-2
- Do you feel like an unknown hero struggling against a Big Guy? "The law is powerless..." -Habakkuk 1:4
2. God Is Present In Our Struggle.
- The Big God replied to the small guy to expect the unexpected
- The First Answer: "You would not believe." "Look among the nations and watch-Be utterly astounded! For I will work a work in your days which you would not believe, though it were told you." -Habakkuk 1:5
- What do you do when the unexpected happens? "I am raising up the Chaldeans..." (enemy) -Habakkuk 1:6
3. You Can Make It Through The Struggles.
- Habakkuk questioned God's plan to prosper his enemy.
- The Second Question: "Are you not from everlasting?" "Shall they therefore empty their net, and continue to slay nations without pity?" -Habakkuk 1:17
- What do you do when good things happen to others and not to you? "Are you not from everlasting...?" -Habakkuk 1:12
4. God Is In Control Even You Feel Your Life Is Spinning Out Of Control.
- The Big God replied to the small guy to stop worrying
- The Second Answer: Live by faith. "Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith." -Habakkuk 2:4
- How can faith bring balance in all areas of your life? "Let all the earth keep silence before Him." -Habakkuk 2:20
5. The Great Shift: Pivoting With God -Habakkuk 3:17-19
- "Though the fig tree may not blossom, Nor fruit be on the vines;" In hard times pivot with God. The fig tree is symbolic of both the spiritual and physical health of Israel. In prosperous times people would live safely under their own vine and fig tree. -1 Kings 4:25
- "Though the labor of the olive may fail, And the fields yield no food;" In desolate circumstances pivot with God. The olive tree is a chosen tree to anoint a king. The people who take refuge in God are compared to an olive tree flourishing in the house of God. -Psalms 52:8
- "Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, and there be no herd in the stalls-" In the midst of loss, pivot with God. Sheep were important to the nomads and agricultural life of the Hebrews. Sheep are also used throughout the Bible to symbolically refer to God's people. -Psalms 95-6-7
"Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation."
Here's the pivot: Real joy is found in God.
"The Lord God is my strength;"
Here's the pivot: Your strength is only in the Lord.
"He will make my feet like deer's feet, And He will make me walk on my high hills."
Here's the pivot: God is never failing, never losing a step.
TAKE THIS TODAY
- Big ideas come in small packages.
- The pivot is to live joyfully with what you have.
- Do not wait for BIG things to happen to you before you start living a joyful life.