THE MESSAGE: LIVE IN GOD'S PURPOSE
- You can make the most of your life by "Living in God's Purpose."
- One of the greatest purposes is "The Great Commandments: Love God, Love Neighbor."
THE CONTEXT: Luke 10 - WHAT SHALL I DO TO INHERIT ETERNAL LIFE?
25 And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
27 So he answered and said, " 'You shall LOVE the Lord your GOD with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,' and 'your NEIGHBOR as yourself.' "
1. LOVE GOD: Heart, Soul, Strength, and Mind.
- We train our heart, soul, strength, and mind so that love is expressed in action.
- At the center of care for the heart, soul, strength, and mind is the love of God.
RESPONSE: What would this look like in your life?
2. LOVE NEIGHBOR: Who Is My Neighbor?
29 But he, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" 36 So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?"
37 And he said, "He who showed mercy on him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."
RESPONSE: How are you reaching out in tangible ways to those in need?
3. PURPOSE AND COMPASSION
- Jesus connected Eternal Life to Love.
- Poverty vs. Shalom
"The very reason God sent His Son to Earth was to reconcile us back into a loving relationship with Him, and restore peace - shalom...He offers us shalom within ourselves, with those around us, and with creation." Bryant Myers
RESPONSE: How is your relationship with yourself, with those around you, and with creation?
"In order to sustain and develop such a life of loving abandonment to God, an overall plan of life is required, incorporating special practices that care for the inner person. These are the familiar disciplines for spiritual life." (Dallas Willard)
THE SEVEN RHYTHMS
- Daily Devotion, Prayer, Service, Sacrificial Generosity, Freedom from Strongholds, Share your story, and Celebration
- Everything comes down to loving God and loving our neighbors.
- What shall I do to inherit Eternal Life?
- Great Commandments: Love God, Love Neighbor