"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." -Matthew 5:13-16 (NKJV)
THE MESSAGE: WHY AND HOW SHOULD I TELL OTHERS?
What is the Gospel, why is it indispensable and how should you tell others?
1. WHAT IS THE GOSPEL?
The Gospel is about the life and deeds of Jesus.
It is about the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.
"Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you-unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures..." -1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (NKJV)
2. WHY SHOULD WE SHARE THE GOSPEL?
- What Jesus Has To Say On This Matter.
- It's a matter of life and death.
"Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins." -John 8:24 (NKJV)
"I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." -John 10:10b (NKJV)
- You are essential to the kingdom of God.
"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men." -Matthew 5:13 (NKJV)
- The world reads you. You shine light on the Word of God.
"You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." -Matthew 5:14-16 (NKJV)
Let's Unpack The Salt And Light.
- Being in CLOSE CONTACT is essential to sharing the Gospel with someone.
- SALT requires close contact. It has to be rubbed into the food or sprinkled over the wound to be effective.
- Christ became flesh and dwelt among humans, so truth must have cultural incarnations to be meaningful.
- BE STRATEGICALLY PLACED to shine the light on the Gospel.
- When someone lit their house lamp, they would place it in the most strategic place in the house.
- You are not a RANDOM PLACEMENT, God puts you where you need to be.
- Be in close contact with others so you can shine your light on Jesus.
What would your life be without the Gospel?
3. HOW SHOULD WE SHARE THE GOOD NEWS?
How Did Jesus Shared The Good News?
- Jesus had the uncanny ability to meet people at their point of need.
- In Luke 19 Jesus recognized Zacchaeus' needs and met him right where he was.
- Jesus knew how to build good friendships, not targets to be "converted."
- Now it happened, as Jesus sat at the table in the house, that behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him and His disciples. -Matthew 9:10 (NKJV)
- Jesus knew how to move people toward God.
- Nicodemus (John 3)
- The woman at the well (John 4)
- Peter (John 21)
- Ask The Right Questions.
Let's Unpack More On How We Can Be Like Jesus.
For many of us, no matter how long we have known Jesus, the thought of telling people about Him sends a shiver down our spines. Why is that?
- God has equipped us perfectly to effectively share our story with others.
- Put together your story.
- Before: Who were you before you committed your life to Christ?
- Commitment: Recount the events and circumstances that caused you to consider Christ as the solution to your searching.
- After: Take several minutes and write down what your life has been like since you made your commitment to follow Jesus. Try to capture how Christ is meeting your needs, and what a relationship with Him means to you now.
- Tell your story to someone who doesn't know Jesus.
- Let your actions and lifestyle tell the story of your transformation. (Reminder: It is not our job to "save" anybody; God does that.)
- Be intentional and strategic.
- To be relevant, we must contextualize.
- Just as Christ became flesh and dwelt among humans, truth must have cultural incarnations to be meaningful.
What Is Your Good News Story?
YOUR WEEKLY TAKEAWAYS: BENEFITS OF SHARING THE GOOD NEWS
- Everyone needs the Gospel.
- You are essential to the Kingdom of God.
- Tell God's story. It will deepen your knowledge of the word of God.
- Tell your story. It will deepen your prayer life.
- It will increase your love for the people.