50 Days To Upgrade Your Life
(Easter To Pentecost Series)
Sunday May 15, 2022 - Pastor Wungreiso Valui
THE BIG IDEA:
Serve others to upgrade your life.
Jesus served breakfast to His disciples.
The disciples were fed and edified.
THE REBOOT STORY John 21:12-14
Jesus served breakfast for seven of His disciples.
THE MAIN VERSE
Jesus said to them, "Come and eat breakfast." Yet none of the disciples dared ask Him, "Who are You?"-knowing that it was the Lord. Jesus then came and took the bread and gave it to them, and likewise the fish. This is now the third time Jesus showed Himself to His disciples after He was raised from the dead. -John 21:12-14 (NKJV)
What characteristic of Jesus appeals to you most?
Jesus' life and ministry on earth are very attractive if we simply focus on Jesus performing miracles, the ability to draw multitudes to Him, and His supernatural power.
But when you decide to follow Jesus, you cannot customize and personalize what you want about Jesus. A follower of Jesus embodies all of Jesus which includes serving and suffering for His name's sake.
Customization and personalization are not options in following Jesus. Many people left Jesus when He said, "I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. I am the bread of life." -John 6:46-47 (NKJV)
What about You? Will you leave Jesus if you cannot customize how you want to follow Him?
From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. Then Jesus said to the twelve, "Do you also want to go away?" -John 6:66-67 (NKJV)
We Can Serve Others Even In Our Poverty
Jesus said to them, "Come and eat breakfast." (v.12)
- We cannot live on bread alone; we need the Word of God.
- There is a blessing in serving others in our poverty.
- The widow in Zarephath served Elijah her last meal.
- Serving is about generosity beyond our circumstances.
So she said, "As the Lord your God lives, I do not have bread, only a handful of flour in a bin, and a little oil in a jar; and see, I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it, and die." ...So she went away and did according to the word of Elijah; and she and he and her household ate for many days. The bin of flour was not used up, nor did the jar of oil run dry, according to the word of the Lord which He spoke by Elijah. -1 Kings 17:12, 15-16 (NKJV)
God's miracles are unlimited but they have a season.
God's miracle for the widow continued until the rain came.
...Until the day the Lord sends rain on the earth. (v.14)
We cannot simply wait for miracles, signs, and wonders to serve God.
Trusting God and serving others go hand in hand.
So she said, "As the Lord your God lives..." (v.12)
Serving May Involve Peacemaking.
Jesus then came and took the bread and gave it to them, and likewise the fish. -John 21:13
- Jesus served food to the disciples before He brought restorative justice.
- The early Church taught us that food distribution is as important as preaching the word of God.
- Serving involves prayer and planning; it is more than the labor of your hands.
Now in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplying, there arose a complaint against the Hebrews by the Hellenists, because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution. Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, "It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables. Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. -Acts 6:1-3 (NKJV)
- When we serve to bring unity, there is a commanded blessing.
- Then the word of God spread, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were obedient to the faith. -Acts 6:7 (NKJV)
- Serving is about humility. Phillip was a better preacher than most of the apostles but he served the table first.
Sometimes We Experience Miracles So That We Can Serve.
This is now the third time Jesus showed Himself to His disciples after He was raised from the dead. -John 21:14 (NKJV)
- Jesus showed himself several times to His disciples after He rose from the dead.
- Jesus served His disciples to show them why they should serve others also.
- Now when Jesus had come into Peter's house, He saw his wife's mother lying sick with a fever. So He touched her hand, and the fever left her. And she arose and served them. -Matthew 8:14-15 (NKJV)
- Jesus healed Peter's mother-in-law and she immediately began to serve them.
- God blesses you so that you can serve others.
- Serving is about gratitude.
How Should We Serve?
-Serve to benefit others.
- Joseph served to benefit others in times of a tumultuous personal life.
- You can still serve God even in times of challenges and difficulties in your life.
How Can Serving Bless You?
-Serving others can bring healing.
- Joseph served others despite his emotional pain and physical suffering.
- God brought healing to Joseph, blessed his work, and reunited his family.
The Lord was with Joseph, and he was a successful man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian. And his master saw that the Lord was with him and that the Lord made all he did to prosper in his hand. -Genesis 39:2-3 (NKJV)
As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. -1 Peter 4:10 (NKJV)
Your Daily Takeaways
Integrate your talents, spiritual gifts, and acquired competencies to serve others and create a lasting impact.