THE BIG IDEA
There is no other name under heaven and on earth that can save you. Trust in Jesus and do good in His name.
There Is True Power In The Name of Jesus - Acts 3-4
THE SCRIPTURE Acts 3 & 4
And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, "Look at us." So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. Then Peter said, "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk." And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them-walking, leaping, and praising God. -Acts 3:4-8
YOUR PRESENT CONDITION CAN CHANGE IN THE NAME OF JESUS BEYOND WHAT YOU IMAGINE
- ...expecting to receive something from them: The lame man simply wanted to be supported in the condition that he was in.
- ...what I do have I give you: The lame man expected silver and gold, but God gave him something beyond his imagination.
Has God done something like that for you? You simply wanted help in the condition you were in BUT God did something else way beyond what you imagined.
- Expect something from God: This is faith.
- Expect the right things from God.
- Do not settle for less than what God can give.
THERE IS AUTHORITY IN THE NAME OF JESUS
- Silver and gold I do not have: You may not have money, but if you have Jesus you have His authority.
- Rise up and walk: You can only use the authority of God when you receive and believe in the name of Jesus.
- ...he took him by the right hand and lifted him up: Act in the name of Jesus. Healing came to the lame man when Peter took the lame man by the right hand and lifted him up.
THERE IS HEALING IN THE NAME OF JESUS
- v 13 The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified His Servant Jesus: Make it clear. People need to hear about Jesus. Testimonies are great, but Jesus and His Gospel are greater.
- v 16 And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Make it all about Jesus. The name of Jesus expresses the very nature of His being. Consciously do everything in the authority and power of Jesus.
- The temptation is always to do things trusting in something or someone other than Jesus.
- To trust in what we have.
- To trust in what we do.
- To trust in what we have done.
- To trust in what people say of us.
- To trust in what people think of us.
- We must always trust in and do good through faith in His name.
The lame man at the Beautiful Gate was expecting a handout; but God wanted to give him a breakout, something greater than his low expectations. The same was generally true of the Jewish audience. They looked for a political and military Messiah. They expected the Messiah in a certain way, but God wanted to give them something much greater.
Now as they spoke to the people, the priests, the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees came upon them, being greatly disturbed that they taught the people and preached in Jesus the resurrection from the dead. And they laid hands on them, and put them in custody until the next day, for it was already evening. However, many of those who heard the word believed; and the number of the men came to be about five thousand. And it came to pass, on the next day, that their rulers, elders, and scribes, as well as Annas the high priest, Caiaphas, John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the family of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem. -Acts 4:1-6
SALVATION IS FOUND IN THE NAME OF JESUS
- they taught the people and preached in Jesus the resurrection from the dead: Eleven individuals or groups opposed Peter and John preaching about Jesus.
- ...many of those who heard the word believed: Salvation is found in Jesus.
- the number of the men came to be about five thousand: 2000 souls were added to the church.
THERE IS POWER IN THE NAME OF JESUS
- v 13 uneducated and untrained men, they marveled: The disciples knew the Scriptures and they had been with Jesus.
- v 16 We cannot deny it: The healed lame man was not a case where the healing was lost in a few hours. They could say nothing against it.
- v 18 commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus: Fear was rooted in the religious leader's own sinful self-interest, not in any desire to protect the people.
- v 29 Lord: Pray in the name of Jesus.
- v 30 done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus: The disciples had power in prayer because they knew to Whom they prayed.
- v 31 The place was shaken: A demonstration of God's pleasure
Peter and John had no idea they were preaching to a future apostle and the greatest missionary the Church would ever see. It is an example of the truth that we have no idea how greatly God can use us.
v 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them...
v 31 And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness
- Being filled with the Holy Spirit is not a one-time event.
- What we need: The boldness and the fullness of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 4:31)
- We should make it evident that we have been with Jesus just like the first Christians.
- A lame man was healed.
- 2,000 more people came to believe in Jesus. (3000+2000=5000)
- Peter was filled with the Holy Spirit again.
- Peter preached Jesus to the leaders of the Jews.
- The opposers could not deny the miraculous healing.
- The enemies of Jesus were helpless.
- Peter and John were bolder for Jesus than ever before.
- God was glorified.
- All was done in the name of Jesus.
THE OUTCOME Acts 4:32-37
- Unity: v 32 Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common.
- Boldness: v 33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all.
- Sharing: vv 34-35 Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, and laid them at the apostles' feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.
- Generosity: vv 36-37 And Joses, who was also named Barnabas by the apostles (which is translated Son of Encouragement), a Levite of the country of Cyprus, having land, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles' feet.