God Commanded Shemitta
Sunday October 9, 2022 - Pastor Wungreiso Valui
Those who have faith in God will be richly rewarded.
How to build faith in your daily life.
And if you say, What shall we eat in the seventh year, since we shall not sow nor gather in our produce? Then I will command My blessing on you in the sixth year, and it will bring forth produce enough for three years. -Leviticus 25:20-21
TWO BIG QUESTIONS
And if you say, "What shall we eat in the seventh year, since we shall not sow nor gather in our produce?"
- 1. What shall we eat? The Bible addresses the most basic question, "What shall we eat?" The question is more about FAITH than FOOD
- 2. What weeds will grow in you? The Bible answered that those who trust God will be richly rewarded. The question is more about DISCOVERY than RECOVERY
WHAT IS YOUR CULTURE?
Every culture sets up standards for success.
Rest is seen as the opposite of productivity.
Rest is seen as a functional necessity to pursue something higher.
What if "REST" is the higher purpose?
- 61% of remote employees are having a harder time disconnecting from work than they did before the pandemic.(Research from Indeed)
- Those working more than 55 hours a week have a 35% higher risk of stroke and a 17% higher risk of heart disease compared to those who work 35-40 hours. (W.H.O.)
- In 2014 The Economist reported that 60% of people who use smartphones are connected to their offices for 13.5 or more hours a day.
- More than a third (36%) of workers experience chronic work stress which can lead to anxiety, insomnia, muscle pain, increased blood pressure as well as a weakened immune system. (American Psychological Association survey)
THE RHYTHM OF WORK AND REST
- 1. Work gives partnership with God to create.
- 2. God creates people with a job in mind: responsibility over creation-Genesis 1:28
- 3. Rest creates communion with God.
- 4. God created His people to be resters, to pattern after God's example-Genesis 2:2
WHY SABBATH AND SABBATICAL IS A SOLUTION TO THE CRISIS
So you shall observe My statutes and keep My judgments, and perform them; and you will dwell in the land in safety. -Leviticus 25:18a
Two Reasons of Sabbatical Year
- 1. A sabbath to the Lord (Leviticus 25:4)
- 2. Rest for the land (Leviticus 25:5)
The first thing God made holy was DAY. It wasn't an animal, plants, sun, moon and stars, but a 24 hour time span. Then the land will yield its fruit, and you will eat your fill, and dwell there in safety. -Leviticus 25:18b
Two Purposes of Sabbatical Year
- 1. Recognize that God is the owner of the creation.
- 2. Remember to focus on God, family and faith.
Focus on your relationship with God. Honor and express gratitude for all that He provides. It is a matter of faith.
Two Models of Sabbatical Year
- 1. The Creation Model (God rested the seventh day) -Exodus 20:11
- 2. The Redemption Model (You were enslaved in Egypt) - Deuteronomy 5:15
The point is to NOT become a slave to work and others.
Two Directives of Sabbatical Year
- 1. Stop: You shall neither sow your field nor prune your vineyard. -Leviticus 25:4
- 2. Share:The sabbath produce of the land shall be food for you. -Leviticus 25:6
God will provide for you and your family.
Two Goals of Sabbatical Year
- 1. Lift up the poor.
- 2. Humbly experience greater reliance on God Exodus 23:11
Release blessings to others. Sabbatical rest is about Restoration. As you give, give willingly with faith.
Then I will command My blessing on you in the sixth year, and it will bring forth produce enough for three years. And you shall sow in the eighth year, and eat old produce until the ninth year; until its produce comes in, you shall eat of the old harvest. -Leviticus 25:18-22
Two Blessings of a Sabbath Rest
- 1. Sign of God's Covenant (Exodus 31:16)
- 2. Rested and Refreshed (Exodus 31:17)
The observance of the Sabbath day and year and the year of jubilee was a matter of obedience and trust.
HOW TO BUILD FAITH IN YOUR DAILY LIFE
GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK
Set aside time one day a week to rest and reevaluate your life. Put your faith in God and see it fulfilled. Get refreshed!
GIVE YOUR FRIENDS A BREAK
Set aside your resources to bless your friends. Focus on why YOU are needed and less on what you need. Shemitta means to release; debts are to be forgiven during that year. (Deuteronomy 15:1-11)
GIVE YOUR TIME TO OTHERS
Set aside time for acts of kindness; help others in the church and the community.
GIVE TIME TO STUDY THE WORD
Set aside time daily to study the word of God. Meditate on God's word and on things that are above. Focus on higher, spiritual pursuits and less on material pursuits.
GIVE TIME TO PRAY (POWERFULLY)
Set aside time to pray daily. Pray with bolder, deeper and greater faith.
Focus on God, family and faith.