Celebration of Rest
Sunday November 6, 2022 - Pastor Wungreiso Valui
In this message I will share with you the SIXFOLD plans to restore the sabbath rest and the damaged done by sin. At the end of the sermon I will share with you how Jesus celebrated the sabbath rest.
THE DESIRED OUTCOME
Celebrate rest with Jesus.
Jesus proclaimed the Jubilee. Christ came to restore Sabbath rest and so every believer can rest.
- Jesus received baptism and was filled with the Holy Spirit
- Jesus was led by the by the Holy Spirit into the wilderness
- Jesus fasted for forty days
- Jesus was tempted by Satan
- Jesus returned in the power of the Holy Spirit.
THE CUSTOM OF THE CELEBRATION OF REST
So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. Luke 4:16
- Jesus went to church to get together with God's people and for the Word of God.
- It the custom of Jesus to fellowship, read the word and pray with His people on a Sabbath day.
If there was anyone who didn't need to go to church, it would be Jesus, but it was His custom to go to church.
"And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written: The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord." Luke 4:17-19
Jesus' mission was to preach the good news and to put an end to sickness and sorrow.
It is evident from reading the scripture that God finds glory in helping His sad, sick, sorrowful people.
Jesus announced that He came to heal the SIXFOLD damage that sin brought.
- 1. To preach the gospel to the poor: Sin causes poverty, and Jesus came to bring good news to the poor.
- 2. To heal the brokenhearted: Sin breaks hearts, and Jesus came to heal the brokenhearted.
- 3. To proclaim liberty to the captives: Sin makes people captive and enslaves them, and Jesus came to set them free.
- 4. Recovery of sight to the blind: Sin blinds us, and Jesus came to restore our spiritual and moral blindness.
- 5. To set at liberty those who are oppressed: Sin oppresses its victims, and Jesus came to bring liberty to the oppressed.
- 6. To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD Sin distorted the sabbath rest and Jesus came to restore the sabbath.
Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. And He began to say to them, "Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing. Luke 4:20-21
Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing: Jesus answered two questions.
- Jesus is the Messiah
- The time is now.
JESUS CELEBRATED SABBATH REST (Luke 4)
- 1. Jesus celebrated Sabbath rest casting out demons vv. 31-35,41
- 2. Jesus celebrated Sabbath rest with his friends vv. 38-39
- 3. Jesus celebrated Sabbath by healing the sick v.40
- 4. Jesus celebrated Sabbath preaching the good news vv.42-44