Renew of the Spirit
Sunday January 22, 2023 - Pastor Wungreiso Valui
In this message I will explain to you how to ask God to renew a steadfast spirit within you. At the end of the message I will share with you what you need to do after experiencing a renewal.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me. -Psalm 51:10
This Scripture passage is King David's classic prayer of repentance. The prophet Nathan confronted King David for covering up his affair with another man's wife, punishable by stoning to death (Leviticus 20:10), and conspiring to kill her husband. David was exposed "So David said to Nathan, 'I have sinned against the Lord.'" (2 Samuel 12:13)
HOW TO ASK GOD TO RENEW A STEADFAST SPIRIT WITHIN YOU
Let us first establish what "Steadfast Spirit" means.
- Firm in faith: Not easily swayed here and there
- Firm place: Firmly anchored
- A fixed, settled spirit within - Calmly settled on God
Ask For Forgiveness Based On God's Nature: Four Specific Requests-Psalm 51:1-2
- Mercy: You cannot renew your spirit based on your goodness.
- Plead for mercy because God is merciful.
- Have mercy upon me, O God, According to Your lovingkindness;
- According to the multitude of Your tender mercies (v1a)
- Blot out: You cannot hide your sin. Only God can 'de-sin' you.
- God can expunge, erase your sinful record and make your transgressions disappear.
- Blot out my transgressions (v1b)
- Wash Me: Your 'legal' washing is insufficient. A thorough wash would be accomplished by kneading or beating, not simply rinsing.
- Let God thoroughly wash your dirty, stained condition.
- Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity (v2a)
- Cleanse Me
- And cleanse me from my sin (v2b)
Take Responsibility For Your Actions: Name it-Psalm 51:3-6
- Transgressions: Acknowledge your transgressions.
- David acknowledged his transgressions (adultery & conspiring to murder)
- For I acknowledge my transgressions (v3a)
- Sin: You cannot ignore, deny or escape your sin. Unconfessed sin will make you miserable.
- David was miserable because of grief and regret.
- And my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned (v3-4a)
- Evil: God is not absent when we do evil in His eyes. We should care for the eyes of God.
- David realized God was looking.
- And done this evil in Your sight (v4a)
Pray For Renewal: Be Specific-Psalm 51:7-9
- Purge Me: Call on God to do the work of spiritual and moral cleansing.
- David needed God to cleanse him.
- Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean (v7a)
- Wash Me: Your purity can be restored. God can 'de-sin' you.
- David spoke with faith in God's effective cleansing.
- Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow (v7b)
- Make Me: The work of the Holy Spirit can lead to joy and gladness.
- David prayed that his brokenness would turn to joy and gladness.
- Make me hear joy and gladness, That the bones You have broken may rejoice (v8)
- Hide Your Face: Contend with God and yourself to come to the right place where you should be.
- David repeatedly asked for forgiveness and restoration; there was nothing light about this.
- Hide Your face from my sins, And blot out all my iniquities (v9)
Desired Renewal Outcome
- Clean Heart: Ask for a new heart to renew your spirit.
- Create in me a clean heart, O God (v10a)
- Steadfast Spirit: Ask for a steadfast faith to resist the devil, a firm spirit free from the influence of sin.
- And renew a steadfast spirit within me (v10b)
- God's Presence: Renewal is to renew a close relationship with God (not distancing like with Cain's punishment).
- Do not cast me away from Your presence (v11a)
- The Holy Spirit: Pray that the Spirit of the Lord does not depart from you (as it did from King Saul).
- And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me (v11b)
- Salvation: Replace grief and regret, the misery of spiritual defeat with the joy of being rescued-Joy that is appropriate to salvation.
- Restore to me the joy of Your salvation (v12a)
- Generous Spirit: Rely on God for your future. Self-confidence leads to spiritual defeat.
- And uphold me by Your generous Spirit (v12b)
Your Renewal Response
- Then I will teach transgressors Your ways (v13a)
- Teach: Teach others how you were renewed from grief and regret
- Confess your sin: Unconfessed sin will take away the confidence to teach others.
- Draw close to God: You cannot teach people who are far from God when you are also far from God.
- And sinners shall be converted to You (v13b)
- Convert: Be an instrument to restore others.
- You will not experience blessings with unconfessed sin.
- Getting right with God is key to leading others to Jesus.