Renewal of Your Image of Christ
Be Like Christ in His Attitude
Sunday February 5, 2023 - Pastor Wungreiso Valui
In this message I will share the original purpose of God in creating you, the devastating impact of the original sin, God's restoration plan of renewal, and Jesus' pattern of self-emptying and God's exaltation of humble people. At the end of the sermon, I will share with you the blessings of having a Christ-Like attitude.
Original Purpose: You are created in God's image.
For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son... -Romans 8:29
Original Sin: Sin marred the image of God in us. (Romans 5:12)
Original Restoration Plan: God sent His Son Jesus to restore the marred image of God in us. (2 Corinthian 5:17)
Fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus -Philippians 2:2-5
Unity: Like-minded, same love, one accord, one mind
Without Jesus, we cannot have a Christ-like mind.
Unity is a by-product of the Gospel's truth. Christ-like unity cannot come about automatically or effortlessly.
The Attitude of the World Cannot Cultivate Christ-like Unity
The Attitude of the World: Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit
- Selfish ambition: Self-advancement/promotion
- Conceit: Excessive appreciation of one's worth or virtue
The world promotes self-assertiveness, imposing one's will on others and carrying with us an attitude of confident superiority in every situation.
Christ-like Unity Requires a Christ-like Attitude
Attitude of Christ
- Lowliness: A secular mind cannot comprehend Christ-like humility, it lacks spiritual soil
"Men do not quarrel when their ambitions have come to an end." (Spurgeon)
- Esteem others better: What can happen if I consider you better than me and if you consider me better than you?
- Interests of others also: Have a natural concern for the interests and needs of others.
JESUS' PATTERN OF SELF-EMPTYING
The Mind of Christ
Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus... -Philippians 2:5
This Mind: The qualities of Jesus that fit the needs of the Philippians at that moment
- There was a lack of unity among God's people in Philippi.
- We have the mind of Christ. -1 Corinthians 2:16
- It is easy to admire Jesus from a distance. But as a follower of Jesus, we need to choose to walk with Him.
Not...be equal with God
"Who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God..." -Philippians 2:6
Robbery: Clutched and retained
- Jesus was not trying to be equal with God; it was His place already.
- Jesus was willing to let go of the privileges of Deity to become a man.
...but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. -Philippians 2:7
- Jesus did not empty being God; He was not less God, but humanity was added to His nature.
- The self-emptying was not a subtraction but enduring suffering and humiliation without appropriating Divine prerogative.
- Self-empty your excessive self-advancement and self-promotion.
Humbled And Obedient: Jesus had to leave Heaven's throne.
And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. -Philippians 2:8
- Jesus learned by experiencing it, "Though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered" Hebrew 5:8
- How did Jesus live? What was His life like?
- What do we learn from Jesus?
GOD'S EXALTATION OF HUMILITY AND OBEDIENCE
Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name... -Philippians 2:9
- God lifted up Jesus and crowned Him.
- God declared Jesus is both man and God.
- Only God can renew us and lift us up from the miry place.
Every knee should bow
...that at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth... -Philippians 2:10
- Jesus is exalted, and the whole world is brought into submission.
- When you humble before God, He will lift you up. (James 4:10)
Jesus is Lord
...and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. -Philippians 2:11
- Jesus returned to heaven with humanity added to His deity.
- Jesus returned with the recognition that He is worthy to be worshiped.
- Human tendency is to long for exaltation and avoid the path of submission, suffering, and humiliation.
Jesus Christ Is Lord: What this means for you
- Jesus can equip you to endure the hardship you are experiencing.
- Jesus can help you understand your hardship.
- Jesus came to show that you can practice unity in the midst of hard times.
What We Can Learn From This
- God can exalt what seems weak at the present time.
- Do not define yourself by what you are not. (Many churches do this.)
- God reveals His power through humble people and humble actions.
- God reveals that Christ-Like attitude towards one another will promote unity in the body of Christ.
- Follow Jesus' model of humbleness and obedience and God will lift you up.