Laodicea: The Rich Poor Church
Sunday April 30th, 2017 - Pastor Wungreiso Valui
14 "And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, ' These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God:
Laodicea (Laodikiai): The Recipient of The Letter
- This is the last of the seven churches addressed by Jesus with special messages.
- Laodicea also received two letters from Paul (Col 4:16).
- It was the center of the worship of Asklepios and seat of a medical school
- No praise is given to this church
The Author of The Letter
- The Amen: Isaiah 65:16 "the God of Amen" "the God of truth"
- The beginning of the creation of God (Colossians 1:15, John 1:3; Hebrew 1:2).
The Condition of The Church
15 "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.
- Neither cold: To grow cold (Matthew 24:12, Mathew 10:42)
- Nor hot : From the word to boil (Romans 12:11)
- I wish you were
The Intended Action By Jesus
16 "So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.
- Lukewarm: Moderately warm, since you are lacking in passion, force, or zest I will vomit you out of my mouth. Laodicean was marked by an absence of enthusiasm or conviction
- Vomit: To reject with extreme disgust.
The Problem of The Church
17 "Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing' -- and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.
- I am rich: Rich in pride and conceit, but poor in grace and ignorant of its spiritual poverty.
- The wretched one: Afflicted (Similar to Romans 7:24).
- Miserable Pitiable as in 1Co 15:19.
- Poor: Complacent
- Blind: Spiritual blindness (Mt 23:17)
- Naked: The picture of actual poverty
The Solution For The Church
18 "I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
- I counsel: Counselor (Romans 11:34) as in Joh 18:14.
- To buy from me: You think you are rich (ironic tone).
- Refined by fire : As in Revelation 1:15. Metaphor carried on by "fired by fire." (Psalms 66:10; 1Peter 1:7).
- That you may become rich: Spiritual riches.
- That you may clothe yourself: To fling round one as in Revelation 3:5.
- Nakedness May not be revealed: Romans 8:35; 2Co 5:2-3).
- Eye-salve: Keep on seeing.
The Path To The Solution
19 "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.
- Rebuke: Proverbs 3:12
- Chasten: Hebrews 12:6. The Lord chastens as in training a child and with reprove
- Be zealous: To boil in opposition to their lukewarmness,
- Repent: Change your mind for the better
The Reciprocal Invitation
20 "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
- I stand at the door: The advent of the Lord's advent as in (Matthew 24:33; James 5:9)
- If any man hear-- and open: (As in John 10:3; Matthew 25:10).
- I will come in to him: As in John 14:23
- Will sup/dine: Fellowship in the Messianic kingdom (Luke 22:30).
The Reward From Jesus
21 "To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
- He that overcomes To sit : Share in the Messiah's rule (Mt 19:28, Mark 10:40, 1 Corinthians 6:2-3)
- As I also overcame: the world John 16:33
- Sat down: I took my seat" Hebrews 1:3 / Where Christ is now (Re 22:3; Col 3:1, 1 John 5:4)
22 "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."
What is your spiritual condition?
- Are you hot? Healing others with healing you received from Christ
- Are you cold? Refreshing others with the love of Christ Spiritual Warning:
Watch that Jesus does not reject us with extreme disgust (Lukewarm).